Building Urban Growers is a gardening summer program that offers a myriad of opportunities to get inner-city kids outside and active in the Summer!
For 6 weeks in the Summertime Seneca Gospel Mission runs the Building Urban Growers, or BUG, Program. This program is a great way to give kids a positive outlet and keep them active in the Summertime. We love being a part of making it happen each year!
Held at Promise Valley Urban Farm on the corner of Elk and Babcock, the “BUG kids” are outside from start to finish (rather than being inside watching screens). There is a lot of overlap with kids from Youth Group and Jesus Kids participating in this program.
BUG is held from 1-3pm, 3 days a week and includes:
- Garden Tending (Planting, Weeding, Watering)
- Teaching time
- Creative Arts
- Food prep and tasting
- Serving / Field Trips to local Farms
Some of our teaching topics include
- Dirt – God created man out of the dirt of the ground.
- Seed – God’s Kingdom is like a mustard seed.
- The Vine and the Branches – Jesus is the vine, we are the branches, Father God is the Grape Grower.
- Sunlight – Jesus is the Light of the world.
- Weeds – Sins are like weeds that spoil the good fruit that God wants to grow in your life.
How Do I Sign My Kids Up?
Are you interested in getting your kid involved? That’s awesome! You can sign up by contacting Seneca Gospel Mission through their website link below.